Sports

Saudi Golf League in tatters as DeChambeau snubs tournament to stay on PGA Tour

Just hours after Dustin Johnson made his allegiances clear, Bryson DeChambeau has become the latest golf star to snub the Saudi Golf League in order to stay on the PGA Tour

Video Loading

Video Unavailable

Tiger Woods has ‘long way to go’ in his recovery from horrific car crash

The Saudi Golf League received yet another blow on Sunday, after Bryson DeChambeau pledged his allegiance to the PGA Tour and ruled himself out of competing on the circuit.

Reports had suggested that DeChambeau had received an eye-watering £100 million offer to join the Saudi League, however the American revealed in a statement yesterday his intent to continue competing on the PGA Tour.

The American took to Twitter to confirm the news, as he posted: “While there has been a lot of speculation surrounding my support for another tour, I want to make it very clear that as long as the best players in the world are playing the PGA Tour, so will I.

Bryson DeChambeau has snubbed the Saudi Golf League
(

Image:

Getty Images)

“As of now, I am focused on getting myself healthy and competing again soon. I appreciate all the support.”

DeChambeau became the second PGA Tour star in a matter of hours to rule themselves out of the Saudi-backed series, after his US Ryder Cup teammate Dustin Johnson also snubbed the league.

In a statement released by the PGA Tour on Sunday, Johnson said: “Over the past several months, there has been a great deal of speculation about an alternative tour; much of which seems to have included me and my future in professional golf.

“I feel it is now time to put such speculation to rest. I am fully-committed to the PGA Tour.

“I am grateful for the opportunity to play on the best tour in the world and for all it has provided me and my family.”

Both Johnson and DeChambeau’s statements come as a major blow for the series, after the pair were arguably two of the biggest names linked with the switch.

What are you thoughts on the proposed Saudi League? Let us know in the comments section.

Dustin Johnson also ruled himself out of the League
(

Image:

Getty Images)

One man whose name remains at the centre of the debate is six-time major champion Phil Mickelson, who in recent weeks has slammed the PGA Tour after reportedly receiving a lucrative offer from the Saudi League.

Mickelson once again made headlines late last week, after comments emerged from a soon to be released biography ‘ Phil: The Rip-Roaring (and Unauthorized!) Biography of Golf’s Most Colorful Superstar’.

The American refers to the Saudi state as ‘scary motherf*****s’, but admitted he was contemplating a move to the series to gain leverage on the PGA Tour.

When commenting on the ambitious Saudi-led series: “They execute people over there for being gay. Knowing all of this, why would I even consider it? Because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reshape how the PGA Tour operates.

Phil Mickelson has been at the centre of the Saudi Golf League debate
(

Image:

Getty Images)

This once again led Mickelson to wide-spread within the golf world, including from former world No 1 Rory McIlroy.

McIlroy – who has been opposed to the Saudi series since the idea was first mentioned – slammed Mickelson after yesterday’s final round at the Genesis Invitational.

Speaking about the six-time major winner’s comments he said: “I don’t want to kick someone while he’s down obviously, but I thought they were naive, selfish, egotistical, ignorant.

“It was just very surprising and disappointing, sad. I’m sure he’s sitting at home sort of rethinking his position and where he goes from here.”

Read More

Read More




Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button