Chelsea’s takeover by a consortium fronted by America billionaire Todd Boehly is finally set to go through, with Thomas Tuchel to be given £200m to spend on transfers
New Chelsea owner Todd Boehly has been given the approval of Liverpool chairman Tom Werner.
The UK government granted a licence for Todd Boehly to purchase Chelsea on Wednesday after the Premier League gave its approval on Tuesday evening. The west London club was put up for sale in March before owner Roman Abramovich was sanctioned over his links to Russian president Vladimir Putin.
And Liverpool chairman Werner says Boehly will be an “excellent owner” after the deal cleared its final hurdle. And with the purchase now finally set to be complete, Blues boss Thomas Tuchel could be handed a £200million war chest to overhaul his squad at Stamford Bridge for next season.
Here are Mirror Football’s latest Chelsea headlines.
AFP via Getty Images)
Takeover approved by government
The UK Government has announced it has reached a position where it can issue a licence that permits the sale of Chelsea.
Todd Boehly’s £4.25billion takeover of the Stamford Bridge club was approved by the Premier League on Tuesday evening. Chelsea had been operating under a special government licence, which expires on May 31.
Los Angeles Dodgers co-owner Boehly will become Chelsea’s controlling owner once the takeover is complete while California investment firm Clearlake Capital will assume the majority shareholding.
Boehly gets Liverpool’s approval
Todd Boehly will be an “excellent owner” of Chelsea according to Liverpool chairman Tom Werner.
Boehly is already a co-owner of Major League Baseball (MLB) side Los Angeles Dodgers, with Liverpool’s owners Fenway Sports Group owning the Boston Red Sox. And Werner has revealed his admiration for the way Boehly has run the Dodgers.
Werner also says he held a couple of conversations with Boehly in recent weeks about life in the Premier League as he revealed the new owners “are working right now on a stadium solution” at Stamford Bridge.
Tuchel ‘handed’ £200m war chest
Chelsea boss Thomas Tuchel reportedly has eight names on his summer transfer shortlist after being handed a £200million war chest by new owner Todd Boehly.
The Blues manager has spoken on numerous occasions in recent weeks about the need for his side to act quickly in the transfer market once the purchase of the club is finalised. Tuchel is believed to want a substantial overhaul of his playing squad with the likes of Antonio Rudiger and Andreas Christensen leaving when their contracts expire and Marcos Alonso and Cesar Azpilicueta linked with the Stamford Bridge exit door.
Two centre-backs and a new forward appear to be Tuchel’s priorities, with plenty of top names now being linked with a move to Chelsea.