US

Ex-UFC champion Cain Velasquez sues man he is charged with trying to kill

Velasquez (pictured), 39, claims in a civil lawsuit that Harry Goularte, 43, sexually molested Velasquez’s son while the boy was attending a day care run at a home by Goularte´s mother, Patricia Goularte, the Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday

Cain Velasquez, the former UFC heavyweight champion accused of trying to kill the man he claims molested his 4-year-old son, is suing the man and his family who own a day care where the alleged molestation occurred.

Velasquez, 39, claims in a civil lawsuit that Harry Goularte, 43, sexually molested Velasquez’s son while the boy was attending a day care run at a home by Goularte´s mother, Patricia Goularte, the Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday.

The child care business and its owners ‘fostered and maintained an environment’ where the children could be molested, sexually abused and harassed, Velasquez said in the court filing. 

Goularte was charged with lewd and lascivious acts with a minor by the Santa Clara County district attorney´s office. He has pleaded not guilty and trial is scheduled for September.

Velasquez was arrested in San Jose, California, last February after he shot at a pickup truck carrying the man through busy streets in three Silicon Valley cities, ramming the vehicle with his own truck during a high-speed chase, prosecutors said.

Velasquez allegedly fired a .40-caliber pistol at the vehicle several times, wounding Goularte’s stepfather, the driver, in his arm and torso,

Goularte (pictured) was charged with lewd and lascivious acts with a minor by the Santa Clara County district attorney´s office. He has pleaded not guilty and trial is scheduled for September

Goularte (pictured) was charged with lewd and lascivious acts with a minor by the Santa Clara County district attorney´s office. He has pleaded not guilty and trial is scheduled for September

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez, left, with his attorney Alexandra Kazarian, right, makes an initial court appearance at the Santa Clara County Hall of Justice on Wednesday, March 2

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez, left, with his attorney Alexandra Kazarian, right, makes an initial court appearance at the Santa Clara County Hall of Justice on Wednesday, March 2

A judge in March denied bail to Velasquez, who faces attempted murder and multiple gun assault charges

A judge in March denied bail to Velasquez, who faces attempted murder and multiple gun assault charges

Judge Shelyna Brown said the 39-year-old Velasquez (pictured in April) was 'reckless' when he allegedly shot at a man accused of molesting the child

Judge Shelyna Brown said the 39-year-old Velasquez (pictured in April) was ‘reckless’ when he allegedly shot at a man accused of molesting the child

A judge in March denied bail to Velasquez, who faces attempted murder and multiple gun assault charges. 

Judge Shelyna Brown said the 39-year-old Velasquez was ‘reckless’ when he allegedly shot at a man accused of molesting the child.

His attorney, Mark Geragos, has said he plans on vindicating Velasquez in court.

The Times said the lawsuit was filed on behalf of a minor. Harry Goularte was living at the home and working for the day care during the time of the alleged molestation, according to the court filing.

Deputies were called to a San Marin daycare owned by Goularte’s mother last month regarding allegations of sexual assault involving a child, the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement Wednesday.

Velasquez was arrested in San Jose, California, last February after he shot at a pickup truck carrying the man through busy streets in three Silicon Valley cities, ramming the vehicle with his own truck during a high-speed chase, prosecutors said

Velasquez was arrested in San Jose, California, last February after he shot at a pickup truck carrying the man through busy streets in three Silicon Valley cities, ramming the vehicle with his own truck during a high-speed chase, prosecutors said

After interviewing the child and others, investigators determined that a sexual assault had taken place and Goularte, 43, was arrested soon after, the office said. 

‘The sad tragedy is that Mr. Velasquez chose to take the law into his own hands, endangering the public and everyone in the truck,’ Santa Clara County District Attorney Jeff Rosen said in a statement.

‘This act of violence also causes more pain and suffering to his family.’

About 100 people wearing T-shirts that read ‘Free Cain’ came to the court house where Velasquez stood trial, showing their support for the former fighter.

Stephen Defilippis, an attorney for Goularte, didn’t immediately respond Wednesday to a call seeking comment on the lawsuit.

He retired in 2019 following a 26-second defeat to current heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou on February 17, 2019 (pictured)

He retired in 2019 following a 26-second defeat to current heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou on February 17, 2019 (pictured)

The lawsuit accuses Goularte and his family of negligence and sexual battery.

Velasquez is due back in court in August, the Times said. Velasquez transitioned to pro-wrestling after retiring from his MMA career in 2019.

Velasquez is a two-time UFC heavyweight champion, having won the title in 2010 before losing it in 2011 and regaining it from 2012 until 2015.

He retired in 2019 following a 26-second defeat to current heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou on February 17, 2019. Since then, he has wrestled in the WWE and Mexico, but has mostly focused on training other fighters at his longtime gym in San Jose.

Born in Salinas, California and raised in Yuma, Arizona, Velasquez was a star wrestler in high school and won a pair of state championships. He would later win an NJCAA national title while wrestling at Iowa Central Community College. Ultimately, he transferred to Arizona State, where he compiled a record of 86–17 for the Sun Devils. 


Source link

Related Articles

Back to top button